Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Venice

13/06/09
Decided on an early start and caught the public bus across to Venice from my campsite in Mestre. Caught the scenic all stops vaproetta (ferry) through the Grand Canal to San Marco Square where I promptly entered the San Marco Batisque.

I avoided any queues simply because I checked in my backpack and got handed a card, which I confidently strolled to the front doors and handed in. I guess they presumed I had queued all this time only to be told I had to check in my bag and thus only happy to let me back in...old trick I read on the web.

Inside would be a taste of the extravagance that was to greet me in Venice. After countless churches in Rome the interior of this one was striking as it was pasted with gold mosaics! Afterwards I then unfortunately had to queue to enter the Doges palace where the showing off of opulent wealth continued, the ticket purchased also entitled me to wander into the St Mark museums on the other side of the square and one other museum of your choice, I chose the Ca'Rezzo art gallery.

Afterwards and maybe due to the frustration of navigating the maze they call Venice I had hit the wall with travel fatigue given the many museums, galleries and churches I had visited the last few days, not to mention the insane Italian heat.

A dash was made to Lido island to escape the mass of tourists for a quiet walk and a gelato. With my feet getting tired I caught the ferry back across San Marco for some snaps and walked back to the awaiting shuttle back to the campsite. There is definitely enough to do in Venice for 2 days but frankly the heat and a little of the same old same old was getting to me, I was starting to feel Italian out...


Venice

No comments:

Post a Comment